Burn Permits

An open burning permit must be obtained by any individual, company or other entity prior to conducting open burning activity. 

The following requirements and conditions must be met in order for open burning to occur on private land in Central City Fire Department’s response area.


Violation of any burn permit will VOID permit. Central City Fire Department and employees or agents thereof, in issuing this permit, do not assume any responsibility or liability for any hazardous condition(s) created by the permitee which result in damage to the person or property of any third person.  Central City Fire Department and employees or agents thereof shall have the final authority for issuing or denying this permit.  All applicable State and local regulations must be met. This permit is not a permit to violate any existing State or local laws, rules, regulations or ordinances regarding fire, zoning or building.

Reference Colorado Revised State Statute 18-4-105, Fourth degree arson (1-4).  

Non-Exempt Burns:

Permits issued by or on behalf of Central City Fire Department are required for non-exempt burns. 

Slash (Brush) Piles

Slash Pile Construction

When You Burn

Application Process

Exempt Burns: 

No authorization or permit is required for exempt burns.  

Agricultural open burning (weeds/ditches), (recreational) camp fires, outdoor fireplaces, wood stoves, outdoor wood-fired boilers and training fires are examples of exempt burns.

Camp Fires:
Campfires can be defined as “recreational fires” in which fires are used for non-commercial cooking of food for human consumption (barbeques), for instructional or religious purposes (bon fires) or for recreational purposes (campfires on private land). This applies only to the burning of clean, dry wood (no treated wood, trash, etc).

Training Fires:
Fires utilized by fire or resource management agencies for training purposes.

Agricultural Burns:
      Defined as the open burning of ground cover vegetation for the purpose of preparing the soil for crop production and livestock grazing, for the clearing of irrigation ditches and fence lines and for controlling noxious weeds for “commercial agricultural operations”. Commercial Agricultural Operations are those operations in which the growing of crops or livestock is a “gainful occupation” such that the income received from the agricultural operation is greater than $500.00 per year. Properties that are “agriculturally zoned” but do not have commercial income greater than $500.00 per year will NOT be considered “agricultural” and are NOT EXEMPT from this permitting process.